Thursday, October 30, 2014

On being a Warrior Goddess...


I've been into stage combat for years- working on classic and contemporary theatre pieces, but within the past couple of years I've transitioned into cinema where I've been able to bring my stage combat into play in a slightly different way.

I started working with Cross the Line Entertainment, a company that produces live-action comic book movies, where I was provided with stunt fight training for film (hand-to-hand combat and weaponry). Fighting for camera can be tricky because you have to be very aware of your placement in correlation to the cameras. Ex. If the camera is in front of you to you're left, a left jab would have to go straight behind the left side of your opponent's head in order to sell to camera, and same goes for the other side. A knee to head would have to go behind the head of your opponent (the head being in between your knee and the camera) so the lack of impact would be hidden. You have to be aware of where the camera is at all times throughout the scene for the DP to fully get the shots he/she needs. Everything of course depends on whoever is "getting hit" to sell the "impact". Big reactions will make or break a fight scene. I personally love getting beat up- it's super fun!

The best part of having stunt fight training is the opportunity it brings in the acting world. Since I can do my own stunts I make it a lot easier on casting and production because they don't have to hire a stunt woman. If you're not able to get training circumstantially like I did, I'd suggest taking classes (GROUPON!) to broaden your chances in this industry. It's a great skill to have under your belt!


No comments:

Post a Comment