Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thoughts on Interstellar, Birdman, and Gone Girl



The last three movies I saw were Interstellar, Birdman, and Gone Girl (directors- Christopher Nolan, Alejandro González Iñárritu, and David Fincher).  Each of these films are extremely well acted, written, and directed, and are already contenders in this years award season. I did however notice a strange similarity in the way I felt when leaving the theatre for both Birdman and Gone Girl that was drastically different than the way I felt when leaving Interstellar.

I'm very empathetic which can be fun while watching movies, as I truly feel that I'm sharing the experience with the characters. Of course this can also be emotionally and even physically disruptive while watching something painful (emotionally or physically) since I share that experience as well. While watching Birdman I felt very connected to the lead character (Riggin- played by Michael Keaton) because actors share similar "demons", mostly leading back to the need for outside acceptance and praise in order to feel fulfilled. Although I related to the character of "Riggin" which is wonderful, the film left me very emotionally confused. I felt there was no solution to this "demon" living inside Keaton's character, which made me think there was no solution to my own "demons". I felt that the film forced me to look backward at my personal problems instead of looking forward into the light at the end of the tunnel.

A similar emotion arose after seeing Gone Girl when the only conclusion I could come up with was, "both of these people are terrible." I felt confused as to why I spent over two hours watching humanity at it's worst with absolutely no message behind it. This too made me look backward on the world's issues instead of forward.

I know that every film can't be happy and positive the whole way through, and I personally would find that extremely boring. What I do think every Studio film should have at this point in time is a message that makes people think FORWARD. We know our society's issues. Everybody with an active facebook knows the condition of the world today in every aspect and from every person's point of view. We are on the brink of a spiritual and scientific revolution where we can share ideas and beliefs without filter whenever and with whomever we want. The lines are blurring and the light is spreading like wild fire. I think it's about time the media caught up.

I know It's easy to say, "A movie is just a movie", but think about what our subconscious takes from these blockbuster films. Movies like Interstellar force us to think progressively because of it's message. I'm not saying every film has to be about literal progression like Interstellar. I'm saying the most beautiful messages are always intertwined within the darkest of tales, and that might be the only thing I know certain to be true in this life. Why put something out there for the world to see that hones in on yesterdays problems, unless it leads us somewhere new? Where there is darkness there is always light and that message should be underlaid whenever possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment